Like you romantics out there, we’re all about tradition… so can’t help but adore when couples go all-out for milestone anniversaries! Whether your throw a party of your favorite venue or not, this year-by-year list that matches particular materials to anniversaries—such as paper for the first, pearl for the 13th, gold for the 15th—has been around for more than a century.
And we ladies have always done it right. In 1905, anniversaries were such popular events that one magazine even described perfect parties from the first to the 75th—all menus, décor and party games centered on the appropriate emblem. Even presents—ahem … jewelry?—were made of that year’s material.
Whether you’re a young pair sharing a more secluded celebration or an older couple surrounded by loved ones, celebrate the traditional way. The materials only get more glamorous as the years pass! Read on for milestone anniversary ideas with a twist.
Can’t jump the gun too early on luxury! Paper symbolizes your modest means as newlyweds and your life together as a blank page. It’s an inexpensive material, but you don’t have to make it cheap!
• Write a love poem he’ll keep forever.
• Slip tickets to his favorite sporting event into the morning newspaper.• Ask him out to the restaurant of your first date on a cocktail napkin.
Half a decade has passed and you two are still going strong—appropriately enough for this milestone’s emblem! A tree represents strength and growing wisdom.
• Give each other saplings that will be just far enough apart to hang a hammock when they fully mature.
• Show him your artistic side with a painted wood frame and the cheesiest photo possible inside.• Go old school romantic and carve your initials into the tree in your backyard! Awww!
Definitely an appropriate anniversary to invest in some timeless keepsakes—after all, your marriage is for keeps! We’re thinking things like…
• Give him a crystal clock engraved with your wedding date to display at home.
• Invest in crystal champagne flutes to toast to this anniversary and many more.• Add a more personal touch: deliver your anniversary card ‘message in a bottle’ style.
Congrats, lovebirds! Twenty years of marriage is something to celebrate. Reflect on your commitment to a lifetime of marriage with these ideas—and we couldn’t help but include some pampering from the kids this time…
• Take the kids to a “paint your own pottery” shop, so you can add some sentimental dishes to the family cupboard.
• Your wedding china has to have taken a beating by now—invest in a new set or key pieces that will last for decades to come.
• Ignite your senses! China Musk is a blend of cedarwood, amber, violet leaves and geranium… which can all be found in votive candles and incense. The relaxing scent is perfect for a romantic evening.
We’ll leave the decades that follow—silver, pearl, gold and diamond—up to him! Wink, wink.