When is the last time your entire family was in the same state, let alone the same place? It’s time to bring the whole family together! There is no event that is as meaningful and as memorable as a family reunion. As years go by, families grow farther and farther apart. A family reunion is a chance to reconnect, have a few laughs and create new memories with all your loved ones. From restaurants to banquet halls, all the way to campgrounds, Snappening can find you the exact Indianapolis-area family reunion location that’s just right for your party. Here are a fewfamily reunion ideas to make the most of your gathering.
Reunions that are close to home
The choices are endless when it comes to picking a place to host your family reunion. For those smaller families, throwing a backyard BBQ or pool party is a simple, inexpensive and intimate option. Make it a potluck and have everyone bring a favorite dish of their choice to pass–particularly if the dishes are heirlooms in the family tree. Adding a special touch of providing a series of long-standing family recipes in afamily reunion cookbook each year could serve as a guest gift. (Or, the more technically savvy may wish to start the family reunion recipe collection online so all family members can enjoy it for years to come.)
Reunions as a Formal Affair: Banquet Halls and Restaurants
If you have a larger family and don’t think your home will be big enough, consider renting an Indianapolis banquet hall or restaurant. A banquet hall may have a variety of rooms that can accommodate your family, while a restaurant may entertain doing a complete restaurant buyout for your family or seating you in a private dining area.
We recommend the following family reunion-friendly event venues across greater Indianapolis:
- The Hawthorns Golf & Country Club (offering a variety of quiet rooms overlooking a gorgeous landscape)
- The Country Club of Indianapolis (gorgeous ballroom with an outdoor grill overlooking a well-manicured golf course)
- Arch at Chatham (less than a mile from Monument Circle in downtown Indianapolis)
- BARcelona Tapas (private room, fun eclectic food options for sharing)
- Dave & Busters (great for kids and larger groups, many entertainment options)
- EventzPlus of Carmel (smaller space, with the appointments of a home)
- Fishers Banquet Center (customizable rooms, three beautiful hotels right next door)
- Flat 12 Bierwerks (great indoor and outdoor spaces, especially for the beer lovers in your group)
- Indiana Landmarks Center (one-of-a-kind historic architecture)
- Knights of Columbus (variety of rooms, both indoor and outdoor spaces)
- Lorenzo’s Ristorante (authentic Italian cuisine, private rooms available)
- Nestle Inn Bed & Breakfast (quaint, in the heart of downtown with beautifully appointed rooms included)
- Pipers at the Marott (located in the heart of downtown, but with ample parking included, historic venue)
- Pipers Grand Manor (southern location in the city, perfect for Greenwood families)
- Rock Bottom Brewery (private room below, including a series billiards tables)
- Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse Downtown (perfect for steak enthusiasts who also want to be in the heart of the city)
- Sahm’s at the Atrium (glass-roofed ballroom, auditorium and courtyard)
- Seasons 52 (perfect food options for families interested in locally sourced products and fresh menus)
- Shula’s Steak House (restaurant themed after the 1972 Miami Dolphins “perfect season”)
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse (live jazz, offers a variety of private and semi-private spaces)
- The Capital Grille (nationally acclaimed for dry-aging steaks, outdoor seating, two private dining rooms)
- The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis (five floors of fun for any age, great variety of entertainment options)
- The Eiteljorg Museum (showcases Native American and Western art, culture and history)
- The Park View Banquet Room (located above the Elbow Room Pub, great view of downtown Indianapolis)
- The Sanctuary on Penn (beautifully remodeled historic church containing a main hall, cocktail plaza and mezzanine)
- Traders Point Creamery (offers self-guided and private tours of farm, Loft Restaurant located above)
- Victory Field (home of the Indianapolis Indians, great for a larger groups)
- Weber Grill Restaurant (private dining rooms and covered patio)
Reunions and the Great Outdoors
Feeling more adventurous this year? Take the entire family out to a campground or theme park. Make a weekend of it. Spend your trip fishing, hiking and bringing everyone closer together while enjoying the outdoors. Other great family reunion locations include breweries and wineries,casinos, museums, recreational entertainment centers and resorts. A quick family reunion venue search on Snappening will make your reunion party planning a snap!
Family Reunion Activities
Having a theme for your Indianapolis family reunion will make your decorating and food choices quick and easy. A few themes that work well for a family reunion are a luau theme, western theme, fiesta theme or a patriotic theme. Whatever theme you choose, remember that it is a family reunion, so be sure to serve food for all ages. Not sure if you can pull off the entire family reunion on your own? Consider hiring an extra pair of hands so that all of your family members get to enjoy the day making memories, and not preparing, cleaning up and everything in between. Snappening can point you in the direction of some great Indianapolis family reunion planners to make your life much easier.
Follow these tips from Snappening to make your next family reunion a success!